Are you worried about the safety or welfare of a child?

We all have a responsibility to protect children and keep them safe from harm.

What is child abuse?

There are different types of abuse. It can include:

  • Physical injury – such as hitting, shaking, punching and kicking.
  • Neglect – not being properly fed, clothed or medical needs not being met.
  • Emotional abuse – when a child is starved of love and affection, or is constantly criticised humiliated or bullied.
  • Sexual abuse – including inappropriate sexual behaviour, language or assault.

Liverpool Children's Advice & Support Service (CASS):
Helps with all issues relating to children and families, responds to enquiries and referrals from the public and professionals and can offer advice about all aspects of child welfare.

If you are worried about the safety of welfare of a child, you should contact:

Liverpool's Children's Advice & Support Service (CASS):
0151 459 2606

The core opening hours will be Monday to Friday, 8am to 10pm. 

CASS will also provide a streamlined pathway for families into Early Help Services. 

How to report a concern

Members of the Public
If you are a member of the public and have a concern about a child please contact:

  • Liverpool's Children's Advice & Support Service (CASS) - 0151 459 2606 


  • Merseyside Police - 0151 709 6010 or 999 in an emergency.

You should report your concerns if you feel that:

  • A child needs protection – if a child is suffering harm, neglect or abuse, we can investigate and act to protect them.
  • A family is under stress – we can offer support and advice and help families access support from other services.
  • A child is seriously ill or disabled – we can arrange an assessment of the child’s and families needs and provide support.

Children and Young People:
If you are a child who is suffering from harm, neglect or abuse or are worried that another child may be suffering you can:

  • Talk to someone outside your family that you trust like a teacher, school nurse, police officer or other person in authority.
  • Seek help or advice from Liverpool's Children's Advice & Support Service (CASS): 0151 459 2606 
  • Contact the NSPCC’s Childline. Child Line is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a Child Line counsellor about anything - no problem is too big or too small. Call free on 0800 1111.

Referrals by professionals
In an emergency you should call the Police on 999

Other concerns about a child

Please read the Responding to Need Guidance and Levels of Need Framework to decide whether your concerns should be logged and discussed with your manager.

If you are a professional with an urgent child protection concern and need to tell us about it, please make an immediate referral by calling Liverpool's Children's Advice & Support Service (CASS):
0151 459 2606 

You will then be asked to follow up your call by submitting an online Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF).